9.17.2010

chasing trains

After a 12 hour working day, all of which is spent running up and down behind my sport bosses and glued to my mildly squeaky (though comfortable) chair in front of a computer screen, the train ride back home has become like a qunine to all the malarial tiredness the day's female anopheles leave behind.

This gets aptly complimented by my iPod and a very often heard playlist made off a couple of selected Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and a lot of bolly songs. Ironically, these 40 minutes spent amidst a small cabin over-filled with equally exhausted and cranky men, itching to reach home, slows down time for me.

Blaring head phones and passing trains lands me in a trance; one which goes in thinking. Thinking about changes that have recently come out of nowhere... thinking about life in Mumbai, the 8 40 train in the morning, the money to be spent on rent, food, travelling, milk and beer... about the recently acquired bachelor pad I plan to 'super' & 'prime' up in every way possible... thinking about work and my aim to hit it big in sports and managing my brother one day... thinking about writing and my dream to write the best story ever written... about constantly battling with a life-long disorder, I hope I don't lose the fight against... thinking about Smokey, my love for him and every one of his kin and what can I do about it... thinking about the ease Ahmedabad was naturally gifted with... and trying to be patient about the struggle which has just started and which will manifest into something good.

This is the 40 minute train ride home everyday, which is daily spent amidst 70 other working men in a cramped space, finding place enough to stand and breathe on my lucky days. No, this duration doesn't cease my already tired mind to stop thinking, but gives me in a weird and magical way some peace of mind.

This is a wee part of life in a city they say never sleeps... and I've come to cherish every second of it... even on my worst days.
Sent on my BlackBerry®

5 comments:

rk said...

i have been following ur blog since quite sometime,but have never comented in any of ur post.Its a real treat to read each and every word of ur blog.Keep writing it make me happy.

Sharvari Shah said...

People of Mumbai should be proud to have a visitor/Citizen like you amongst them. Usually considered to the dull moments of the day, you have managed to turn the train rides into your creative thinking time. Awesome!

Rina said...

I know exactly what you mean. I know the change and the feel that this city gives, the hope that just about never leaves you that "yes, you can and you can make it big".

I have had many of these contemplative train rides and despite the rush and the noise, you can just feel the life come through. It gives you a sort of complete feeling. Cheers to being a mumbaikar and enjoying the true spirit of the city!

Rajsi said...

like i always say i LOVE the way u write!!!
i mean i was never a blog reader.. but your writing i always look forward to! and we have a master piece yet again :)
Its truly commendable the way you are handling everything and at the end of the day you get super results!like who gets 18 pints of beer from work?! :P really happy for you and am sure all this struggle will turn into something AWESOMEST! And am sure some day you are gonna miss this days !
really proud of you! RESPECT.

inmyeye said...

Well Well Well.. Are my eyes deceiving me or are you my dear boy finding out the good things of living in Mumbai :-) :-) Here's the honest truth... I wouldn't have been able to do it... And look at you, you make it sound so easy :-)

Like I said the other day - Have I told you lately... How proud you make me?

So 'super-prime' it all... and smile, that's what we all look forward to...

Cheers, Me

PS: See you soon....